What exactly does home insurance cover? More than you think!

Home insurance, in all its forms, offers great coverage in the event of a claim. You may not know it, but this formula covers a lot more than you think. That’s why we conducted our little investigation on this subject. This is exactly what home insurance covers !

In concrete terms, what does home insurance cover?

Home insurance mainly covers damage observed in your home and the property that constitutes it.. It is therefore used to compensate the victims of the disaster that occurred in the context of the occupation of your property. We are talking in particular about compensation. It thus takes the form of sums of money paid directly to the holder of the housing contract.

No matter the name of the insurance company, home insurance allows compensation up to the amount of damage suffered. The most common formula remains the Multi-Risk Home Insurance (MRH). More concretely, it covers both your civil liability and your “private life” civil liability. HRM coverage concerns damage related to:

  • A fire
  • A freezing of the pipes
  • Water damage
  • A shard of ice
  • Burglary or vandalism
  • A natural disaster

As a reminder, the civil liability guarantee simply compensates third parties who are victims of damage (including neighbours) for which you are responsible. The “privacy” liability guarantee, on the other hand, covers all the members of your family living in your home in the event of damage (bodily, material, immaterial) or claims caused to a third party.

Don’t forget that it is your insurer who sets the amount of your insurance premium when you take out the contract. You must complete a risk declaration form. It is generally used to calculate your insurance premium. With regard to HRM, different parameters come into play to determine its cost:

  • Your place of residence
  • Your status (owner or tenant)
  • The value of your (insured) property
  • The size of your accommodation
  • The optional guarantees of your choice

Home insurance is not compulsory. This is the first point to remember. Note, however, that if you decide to do without it, you are responsible for compensation for all damage caused by your property or yourself.

In general, as the owner of a house or apartment that you occupy, you can do without home insurance. On the other hand, if it is a housing located in joint ownership, the subscription of a corresponding insurance is essential concerning the part civil liability.

The HRM only concerns owners of real estate located in France.

Therefore, if you own a rented house, it won’t do you any good. Instead, turn to Non-Occupant Owner or PNO insurance. Just make sure that it includes “tenants’ recourse” and “neighbours’ and tire’s recourse” guarantees.. You are thus protected against any damage related to a lack of maintenance or a construction defect of your property.

Under the Alur law, you must insure your accommodation located in co-ownership, through the legal minimum of the civil liability guarantee, even if you are the owner-occupier or non-occupant (law n°2014-366 for access housing and renovated town planning).

Nowadays, taking out home insurance is simplified by platforms dedicated to this purpose. The procedures are carried out online. Of course, you can always turn to a broker, an insurance company or a banking establishment to subscribe to an HRM. Prefer a formula with several guarantees.

Leave a Comment